Mushroom poisoning in dogs is always underestimated. Mushroom species can be difficult and sometimes nearly impossible for even mushroom experts (called mycologists) to identify. That difficulty is compounded by the fact that little is known about the potential toxicity of many species. Mushrooms reported as edible in Europe have been associated with toxicity cases in North America and vice versa. Mushroom toxicity reportedly can vary depending on habitat and/or what other plants or trees are growing nearby. Many mushrooms can contain more than one poisonous substance and can cause different symptoms depending on the animal.

Toxicity also can depend on underlying health conditions in pets and people or other substances they may ingest. And in our global economy and import/exports as they are toxic mushrooms from other parts of the world that resemble species presumed edible in Canada that have been imported to North America, further confusing the scene.

To be safe, it’s best to keep your pet away from all wild mushrooms and call your vet immediately or head to the nearest veterinary hospital immediately if you suspect your pet has eaten a mushroom.

Common BC Poisonous Mushrooms found in British Columbia – especially on the Coast (the names and descriptions are geared towards humans but apply to all animals as well)

Blue Staining Boletes – Some are poisonous, a few are edible – for experienced mushroomers only
False Chanterelles – Hygrophoropsis aurantiaca – gills are very thin and completely unlike chanterelle gills
Amanita muscaria – Cap: Red or yellow with white warts (the Alice in Wonderland mushroom)
Amanita rubescens/franchetii – Just avoid the Amanita family
Pleurocybella porrigens – Angel wings are an issue if you have pre-existing kidney disease and are already receiving dialysis treatment… not a worry for most people.
Galerina Family mushrooms! Bad dudes. Galerina marginata or autumnalis can be confused with edible Honey mushrooms (Armillaria mellea)
Sulphur Tufts – Naematoloma frasciculare can be confused with edible Conifer tufts (Naematoloma capnoides)
Tricholoma equestre/flavovirens – Man on horseback is edible, but some people have been known to be allergic to it.
False Morel (Gyromitra esculenta)- Can cause death, it’s like ingesting rocket fuel.
Webcaps – Cortinarius orellanus
Leccinum spp. (Scaber Boletes) – I avoid this family even though there are edibles within it.
Morchella family mushrooms eaten raw can cause stomach issues.
Alcoholic Inky caps – Coprinus atramentarius – Inky Cap Family – Only causes stomach upsets if you drink alcohol up to 5 days after eating them! Non-fatal, but can be confused with edible Shaggy manes.

Important Information!

As an essential service in our society it is important that we remain open to help our patients in need of Veterinary care. In order to do accomplish this we must implement the following:
Maximum of one client in the waiting area at any one time, please wait in your car or outside until others have left the lobby area.
We are asking our clients to wait in their vehicle and we will retrieve your pet for any technician or surgery admission. We are emailing surgery consent forms. If you have been out of the country or have been exposed to anyone who is unwell we ask that you not attend the appointment.
We are asking our senior or immune compromised clients NOT TO enter our building. We will help in any way possible, please contact us.
We are cleaning intensively and frequently in order to keep our staff members and members of our community safe.
Facetime and telemedicine appointments are available with subsequent drop offs for diagnostics if needed.
PLEASE CONTACT US FOR FURTHER INFORMATION OR ANY QUESTIONS
250-549-0402

You have Successfully Subscribed!